About Me

My photo
I am a new graduate nurse, which speaks volumes...

Monday, October 11, 2010

Fuzz Therapy


So here is an update... I am still unemployed. I had an interview but didn't get picked for the job. Personally I felt like I didn't do my best in the interview. I don't know if you are familiar with behavioral interviewing, but it can throw some curveballs. I went in positive and nervous, but then I got a couple questions that really didn't have a good answer. For example, one of them was something like "Describe a time that you disappointed someone and what happened". Disappoint someone? Seriously? When I was practicing for this interview that wasn't one of the things I really focused on. I worked on trying to remember clinical situations and how to present them in a positive light. But let us return to that key in the phrase "disappoint someone". OK anyone who knows me that I live in constant fear of disappointing people and myself. At least it should be obvious since I am a perfectionist. I realize that they wanted something like "I did X and didn't meet their expectations then I admitted it and did X about it to fix it". But really? Disappoint? You couldn't come up with a better way to elicit that answer? I guess since they are the hiring party they are entitled to ask whatever questions they want. *sigh* anyway...

So after not getting that job I have decided to make a new plan since I *NEED* to get a job so I can do what I am trained to do. I have decided to apply en masse to as many positions in a couple designated categories. So like Telemetry, Medical/Surgical, and the Emergency Department. Basically places with similar skills needed. All states are an option now. Well maybe not all. I mean I am applying everywhere but I am hoping to get some response. So I've put out 10 applications today and hopefully I'll find some more positions to apply to. Basically I can apply to anything that says "new graduates considered". Generally that phrase is in the fine print, so for every 100 job postings I see, I can apply for about 2 of those jobs. Then if you try to put it into perspective, and realize there are probably at least 200 or so people applied for that one job. It's rough out there folks. Yeah I am still looking in the Portland area, but I can't really find anything. There are a couple jobs here and there that I have faithfully put my info in for people to look over, but the fact of the matter is I just don't have the experience that they are looking for in a candidate. They are just giving me more reasons to find a job so I can get some experience...

In other news I have recently not been sleeping well. While this hasn't really interfered with anything because I am unemployed, I have just been worried about going "postal" on my neighbors or something. Well they are annoying and being unemployed has made my world quite small, so yeah the pounding drum track from the lower apartment starting and stopping during my nap time does cramp my style. I sort of wonder if gifting our neighbor with a pair of headphones would be too passive aggressive or just smart. I think he also doesn't win any popularity contests because he smokes underneath our bedroom window around bed time and then flicks his used cigarette butt into the nice flower bed there.
Things haven't been wholly bad though. My husband and I decided that getting a pet now was doable. So last week we talked about what it would be light if we were to get a pet now rather than after I got a job. I mean, we are making due, but we aren't financially "well off". In any case we decided to get a kitty. So on Friday I cleaned up the apartment a bit and went shopping for the "kitten essentials". It was fun but I did miss a few things that I got later. Like nail clippers (good for keeping kitties from clawing you) and more toys (good for keeping kitties entertained and off your furniture).

So on Saturday Jonathan and I went to the Oregon Humane society. I was nervous, you know, because I was sure that people were on top of things on Saturday and went and adopted all of the kittens. Yes ALL of the kittens would be gone... It was quite the experience really, to get there and see all of the poor kitties without homes. Of course the big playroom at the front is full of little kittens. We tried to go and look at all of them before sitting down in one of the meeting rooms to see their personalities. We looked at a few kittens. Some of them were super cute but a little shy about showing their personalities. I understand how stressful that is for little kittens. The be yanked out of your little safe playroom into an empty room with strange people that smell funny. One of the first kittens that we met was really outgoing and playful. She wasn't the most "unique" looking (you know like random spots or whatever) but personality goes a long way. Her assigned name at that point was "Molasses". We met a few other kittens but we went and me this little kitten again. And that's how we ended up adopting the kitten now known as Miko.

We took her home and once we let her out she did about three thorough circuits of investigating the apartment and then went and hid under the bed in the "office/spare bedroom". I think my heart sank at that point. I knew it was normal, but I felt shunned by my new furry companion. It turned out ok though. She came out and was her normal attention-seeking self. She really is turning out to be a snuggle bug. When she isn't playing she prefers to be in my lap sleeping. She also is quite the talker. Not a yowler though. Just like to make sure you know that she wants attention. She also has some of the longest meows ever. It's really funny.

So I may be unemployed but now I get the appropriate amount of fuzz therapy. Thank goodness!

2 comments:

  1. YAY fuzz therapy! It's the best, seriously. Mine is fast asleep on the arm of the couch right now, his widdle head resting on his widdle pawses. >.<

    I'm going to stop by the pet store on my way home tomorrow and look at the scratching trees they have. We've been talking puppies a lot lately... and I want to make sure he has somewhere that he can escape to if need be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kittens are the greatest! We have two, and they are so helpful when I'm stressed out. I'm glad you have a little kitty to snuggle with!

    ReplyDelete